Born as a Cooperative in February, 1951, Hill Country Telephone Cooperative has grown and evolved into HCTC, the company you see today. On February 13, 1951, a group of five men formed the Cooperative for the purpose of furnishing telephone service in rural areas of the Texas Hill Country. Larger telecom companies had deemed the areas as unprofitable and had passed them by on the way to larger cities.
Operating under the cooperative principles and governed by a Board of Directors, Hill Country Telephone Cooperative grew and expanded by offering state-of-the art technologies to rural subscribers. When changes in regulation permitted the delivery of telephone service in competitive markets, Hill Country Telecommunications was established as a subsidiary of the company to capitalize on those changes and diversify the services offered. Hill Country Telephone Cooperative and Hill Country Telecommunications provided a plethora of telecommunications related products and services, including long distance, Internet, security systems and more to a combined 14 exchanges in 15 counties across the Texas Hill Country (including competitive markets in Mason, Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Junction, and Sonora) spanning almost 3000 square miles.
Recently, both the parent Cooperative and its subsidiary have combined their branding and customer communication efforts under the moniker of HCTC. Realizing the importance of broadband availability for rural economic development, HCTC has embarked on a mission to make broadband available throughout its service area. As the future of communications is unfolding and revealing broadband as the preferred technology, HCTC is strategically positioning itself to meet the ever-changing needs of its members, today and into the future.