What is a robocall?
If you answer the phone and hear a recorded message instead of a live person, it’s a robocall. If you’re getting a lot of robocalls trying to sell you something, odds are the calls are illegal. Many are also probably scams.
What is an illegal robocall?
The law states that many telemarketing robocalls are illegal without prior, express written consent from you.
Non-profit, tax-exempt organizations, political calls, and emergency robocalls are legal for landline phone numbers without written consent. However, most political organizations and nonprofits do need your consent to call mobile phone numbers.
Emergency or health-related robocalls are exempt for both landline and mobile phones.
What is spoofing:
Spoofing is when a caller deliberately falsifies the information transmitted to your caller ID display to disguise their identity. Scammers often appear as an incoming call from a local number that you may already know and trust. These calls are generated outside of HCTC’s network.
Robocall blocking: How it works
- When an incoming call appears to be a ‘local’ number, but is actually originating ‘outside’ of HCTC’s network, the caller will hear the following announcement, “The number you have reached does not accept calls from Telemarketers. If you are a Telemarketer, please add this number to your Do Not Call List and hang up now. Otherwise, please press ‘1’ to complete your call.
- Approved callers, such as your friends and family, may hear the announcement the first time with no further calls to be intercepted.
What do you need to do to activate Robocall Blocking?
You do not need to do anything to activate Robocall Blocking. Robocall Blocking will automatically be implemented on March 1, 2020, and thereafter by default on any new voice service.
Is there a charge for Robocall Blocking:
HCTC will, by default, block robocalls for customers at “no charge”.
ADDITIONAL CALL BLOCKING SERVICES
- DO NOT CALL: https://www.donotcall.gov/
- Telemarketing Call Screening ($2/mo)
This feature screens all calls with the exception of local calls and local wireless calls with complete subscriber manageability. To learn more about this service, or to sign up for this service:
To learn more about how to prevent robocalls or spoofing:
- A message from FCC Chairman Ajit Pai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8m-NDEWiBQ&feature=youtu.be
- File a Complaint: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/filing-informal-complaint
How to OPT-OUT of Robocall Blocking?
If you do not want calls blocked, please contact us to opt out of Robocall Blocking.